There is nothing worse than a slow draining sink. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent this common home plumbing problem this summer. Try these tips to keep your plumbing running smoothly.
Tips to Prevent Drain Clogs:
- Dispose of Grease Separately – After frying a greasy meal, don’t rinse off the pan in the sink! Instead, you should save the cooking grease in an old coffee can and dispose of it in the trash.
- Keep Hot Water Running – Keep the sink running for a bit after each use. The hot water will help keep oils from building on the surface of your pipes.
- Clean Your Drain with Baking Soda – Baking soda is a great way to clean your drains. Throw some baking soda down the drain and let the hot water run to help clean it.
- Freshen Up Your Disposal – If you have strange smells coming out of your garbage disposal, slice up some lemons and drop them down your garbage disposal with some ice cubes. Let the water run. The ice will clean off the sides of the disposal and the lemon will leave your drains smelling fresh.
- Be Mindful of What Goes Down the Disposal – Your garbage disposal can’t dispose of everything. Those summer potato salads and BBQ ribs can do serious damage to your disposal blades. Be sure to dispose of starchy items, as well as items that can damage your blades (like bones) in the trash.
If you do find yourself with a slow draining sink, don’t worry — we’re here to help! Our professional technicians can help clear your drains and restore your home plumbing. Give our office a call or visit our website to learn more about the services we offer at Dean’s Professional Plumbing, Heating, Air & Drain.
Contact the expert technicians at Dean’s Professional Plumbing, Heating, Air & Drain:
St. Paul: 651-237-9190
North Metro: 763-515-4852
Follow us on social media for more plumbing tips and tricks!