The Problem with Drano & Other Liquid Drain Cleaners
If you’ve ever had a clogged drain, you may have been tempted to reach for a bottle of liquid drain cleaner to fix the problem. These products promise to dissolve clogs and clear your pipes quickly and easily, but they may not be the best solution. In this blog post, we’ll explore why plumbers dislike liquid drain cleaners, how they can affect your plumbing, and the toll they can take on the environment.
Why Plumbers Dislike Drano & Other Liquid Plumbers
One of the main reasons plumbers dislike liquid drain cleaners is that they can actually cause more harm than good. These products contain harsh chemicals that can corrode your pipes and cause damage over time. They can also react with other substances in your pipes, such as soap scum or grease, creating even more problems.
If you have a larger blockage, such as a tree root or a broken pipe, the chemicals in the drain cleaner will not be able to effectively clear it. Instead, you’ll need to call a plumber to physically remove the blockage.
How Liquid Drain Cleaners Can Affect Your Plumbing
Using liquid drain cleaners can have serious consequences for your plumbing. The chemicals in these products can corrode your pipes, leading to leaks and even bursting. This can result in costly repairs and water damage to your home.
In addition, the corrosive nature of these chemicals can also affect your fixtures, such as your sink or shower. Over time, the exposure to the chemicals can cause these fixtures to become discolored or even disintegrate.
The Toll on the Environment
Not only can liquid drain cleaners be harmful to your plumbing, they can also have a negative impact on the environment. The chemicals in these products can contaminate water sources and harm wildlife. In addition, the production and disposal of these products contribute to environmental pollution.
Alternative Solutions to Liquid Drain Cleaners
So, what can you do if you have a clogged drain? Instead of reaching for a bottle of liquid drain cleaner, try one of these alternative solutions:
- Use a plunger: A plunger can be effective in clearing small clogs and is a much safer option than liquid drain cleaners.
- Use a plumbing snake: A plumbing snake is a tool that can be inserted into your pipes to physically remove blockages. This is a more effective solution for larger clogs and can help to prevent further problems down the line.
- Use a natural solution: There are several natural solutions you can try to clear a clogged drain. For example, you can try using hot water and baking soda or vinegar and baking soda to dissolve the clog. These solutions are safer for your pipes and the environment.
Can liquid plumbers make clogs worse?
Yes, it is possible for drain cleaners to end up making a clog worse. This can happen for a few reasons.
First, the chemicals in drain cleaners can corrode pipes and cause damage over time. This can lead to leaks or even bursting, which can make a clog worse by creating additional blockages.
Second, drain cleaners are often only effective on small clogs. If you have a larger blockage, such as a tree root or a broken pipe, the chemicals in the drain cleaner will not be able to effectively clear it. This can result in the clog becoming even more difficult to remove.
Overall, it is generally safer and more effective to use alternative methods to clear clogs, such as a plunger, a plumbing snake, or a Plumber or Drain Cleaning professional.
Hiring a Drain Cleaning Professional
Another alternative to using liquid drain cleaners is to hire a professional drain cleaning service. Companies like Dean’s Home Services offer expert service to clear clogs and prevent future problems.
A professional drain cleaner has the tools and knowledge to effectively diagnose and solve a variety of plumbing issues, including:
- Clogged drains: A professional drain cleaner can use a variety of methods to clear clogged drains, including hydro jetting, which uses high-pressure water to blast through blockages.
- Slow drains: If your drains are draining slowly, a professional drain cleaner can determine the cause of the problem and provide a solution. This could be something as simple as removing a small blockage or as complex as replacing a damaged pipe.
- Pipe damage: A professional drain cleaner and Dean’s Plumber can identify and repair damaged pipes, ensuring that your plumbing is in good working order.
By hiring a professional drain cleaning service, you can rest assured that the job will be done properly and efficiently, saving you time and money in the long run.