Air conditioning is a summer essential, but your unit will work more efficiently when it is clean! Dirt, dust, leaves, and other particles can clog your unit and keep air from flowing throughout your home. Follow these steps to tidy up your air conditioning unit.
How to Clean Your Window Unit:
- Check the Fins – If your A/C unit isn’t blowing cool air, it could be because your coils and cooling fins are clogged. Remove the plastic filter, remove it from the window and straighten the bent cooling fins with a fin comb.
- Vacuum the Coils – Use a vacuum to get rid of all visible buildup from the coils. Then, spray both the coils with A/C coil cleaner.
- Change Your Air Filter – Wash or change your air filter to get rid of any clogged dust.
How to Clean Your Central Air Unit:
- Clean the Condensor Fins – The fine metallic blades that surround the unit can become dirty. After all, they are pulling in dust, dead leaves, grass, and even dandelions. Shut off the electric, and then vacuum the fins clean with a soft brush. Be sure to avoid bumping them (this will bend the fins). If you do knock into any of the fins, you can use a special comb to straighten them back out.
- Clean the Evaporator – If you can reach your evaporator, vacuum the fins with a soft brush.
- Change Your Air Filter – You should check your air filter and clean or change it if it is dirty.
If you are not sure how to clean your window unit or outdoor condenser, contact our office. Our expert HVAC technicians can help you keep your air conditioning system running smoothly (for less) all summer long. Contact the expert technicians at Dean’s Professional Plumbing, Heating, Air & Drain today!