When was the last time that you took a look at the air filter in your home’s HVAC system? This simple maintenance task is actually a really important part of keeping your home’s heating and cooling system running smoothly. And while we know home maintenance is a chore, it only takes a few minutes to swap out your old air filter for a brand new one! Below, we’ll explain how you can perform this simple home maintenance task.
How to Change Your Air Filter:
Time to Complete: 5 Minutes or Less.
- Purchase a new air filter. Most HVAC units have disposable filters. They can be purchase in economical multi-packs — or on their own. Each filter will have a different fit so make sure you buy the right filter for your unit.
- Turn off the HVAC unit. You’ll want to make sure that your system is off right before replacing the filter.
- Follow the Directions for Your Unit. Make sure that you follow the directions so that you can install the filter properly. Some filters use different colors for the front and back so that they aren’t installed backwards.
- Check for Gaps. Make sure there aren’t any gaps around the filter frame. If there are, this is a sign that the filter is damaged or that you installed the wrong size for your unit.
- Secure everything in place. Secure any levers, gaskets or seals back in place and turn your unit back on.
Is the DIY route not for you? Is it time to schedule your HVAC tune-up? Give us a call! Our technicians here at Dean’s Professional Plumbing, Heating, Air & Drains are here to help you with all of your homes HVAC needs.